Thursday, March 1, 2012

Thrown for a Loop

I have some very good news to share with you today and also, some very horrible news. Shall I go ahead and get the bad news over with?

Several days ago we got a semi-unexpected phone call from the Rockies. They told Aaron how much they appreciated how hard he had worked {rehabbed} these past three years... They hated that they haven't been able to use his talent for the betterment of their organization... and basically, they graciously released him. 

Ugh. Not a good day. 

After all we've been through, this was definitely the biggest feeling of defeat. Only, "defeat" is what we've felt for most of this three years with his shoulder. One semi-complicated injury. Three operations {one of which was not even necessary}.  Can you sense the our frustrations here? ;)


"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."  James 1:2-4

Perseverance? I don't think we'll ever fully be there but good grief we've gotten a lot of practice through these years!  Joy? I'm working on that right now and so is Aaron. The fact that God is in control is the only way I can find joy in these circumstances. That's where I go to find comfort. Because I do know this:  

"The Lord is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."  Psalm 34:18

The reason I say the call was semi-unexpected was because we've been grateful to the Rockies for hanging onto us as long as they have. We couldn't have asked for a more patient and supportive organization to be in and yes, I wish they would have at least waited a couple more months to see how Aaron would fully recover but they didn't and that's ok. 

At this level, baseball is no longer just a game. It's a business.

They were trying to do what they thought was best for their business.

So, now that you're officially depressed reading this ;) shall I share with you the very good news??

A few days before we got "the call", Aaron flew up to Denver to an appointment with an orthopaedic that has specialized in pitchers with his type of shoulder injury for many years. {torn biceps tendon} Aaron told him his whole injury-surgery-rehab story from start to finish. The doctor reviewed all of his past MRI's and conducted some strength and flexibility tests on him and came to this confident conclusion: If Aaron will work on his flexibility and keep working out and throwing like he's been doing, he should be back to his old self in 6 weeks.



Photobucket
{speaking of old self}

You talk about music to our ears.

Are we taking the bait- hook, line and sinker just yet? Um no. I'll believe it when I see it.  But it was SO encouraging to finally hear good news that wasn't an assumption, he was totally and completely confident. We aren't just yet, but we're glad somebody is! 

Although, I will say, Aaron did use the term "CRAZY- good" when describing how his arm felt throwing last night... so maybe we're on our way to a full recovery.

The two questions we're wondering now are: Will he ever be back to his old self? And if he is, will there be a team or teams interested in a player with his background? 

We shall see in the next few months.

It ain't over 'till it's over. That's what I keep saying.

We are still kind of in shock and definitely frustrated, but we do have a sense of peace about it all, miraculously. {seriously, it's a miracle.}

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thank you, thank you Lord!!

3 comments:

  1. i just love y'all! :) praying praying praying.

    p.s- i miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I never get on the blogs anymore so I just saw this! I love You I love You praying for y'all!!!- kaitlin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take Care Aaron. Hope you get back to healthy!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...